Thursday, May 20, 2010

The past 38 Months

38 months ago, at 15 months old, our oldest son Ben was diagnosed with a Primary Immunodeficiency disease (PI). And for the last 38 months, Ben has endured numerous hospitalizations, surgeries, and other medical procedures to treat and hopefully reverse the disease. For the past 38 months, we have held onto the hope that Ben's immune system would start producing the antibodies that his body completely lacks, that Ben would "out-grow" this disease. We never lost hope, or faith, that he would be healed. However, yesterday, after another round of tests last week, Ben's hematologist/immunologist called to inform us that his lab work was worse than 6 months ago, and that there was sufficient evidence to prove that Ben will not "outgrow" or be healed from this disease. It was with great sadness that I took this phone call to learn that my child will live with this disease for the rest of his life.

So yesterday, oddly enough after my conversation with his doctor, Ben and I were talking about his port (he asks questions about it quite frequently). And I asked him why he has a port. And he answered:

"Because I am special and that is the way God made me.
And momma, did you know that God and Mickey Mouse
made my port together to help me feel better?"
So as we turn down this new phase of Ben's disease, and no matter how much this new phase saddens me, I have to remember that
God and Mickey Mouse are behind it all---
and they make us feel better.
If you would like to know more about PI, you can visit the website: www.info4pi.org.

8 comments:

Steph, Robert, Zach & Ashton said...

I already posted on your FB page, but I just wanted to say again how sorry I am for you guys! I will continue to keep y'all in my prayers!

knmadden said...

Oh Kristen - I am so sorry to hear this. You all are in my thoughts and prayers frequently. You are such an amazing strong mom!

Laura Lea said...

We love you. A lot. I have a friend who is 40 now, and has kids the same age as me. She has Cystic Fibrosis. She had a very successful accounting career, and just now had to take medical disability because she really couldn't do it all--work and be a mom and a volunteer. She looks great now. So keep hoping. Twenty years ago her prognosis was much different.
And know that you will all be on the First Methodist prayer list for all time!

The Scully Family said...

Thinking of you guys. Ben sounds so brave and I can't even imagine how hard this must be on you guys. Thinking of you and will keep you in our prayers.

Bristelle said...

I'm sorry that you and your little guy are going through this. I can't imagine how tough this news must be on a mommy's heart. Remember God (and Mickey Mouse) can do anything and will never give someone more than they can bear. God has an amazing plan for Ben and your family through all of this. Praying for you guys!

Beth said...

I am sorry to hear the news, but I am so glad that God gave Ben the kindest, sweetest and most patient mommy to take care of him. He is truly blessed to have you! I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers for sure. And don't hesitate to ask if there's anything you need that we can do. I mean it.

Heather said...

Kristen and Randy,
My heart and prayers are with you and the whole family. I'm so sorry for Ben, but I know that he has the most amazing Mom and Dad to support him. I love you all!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys are raising a very amazing and wise little boy. I will keep you all in my prayers.

Weslea