Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Updates

Well, I quickly learned, after starting my new job, that there are somethings that fall to the wayside, in order to stay healthy and sane. Unfortunately, my blog was that "thing" that gets neglected. So let me update you on the events of the last few weeks with the Hoods:
1. I started my new job as school nurse at Thousand Oaks Elementary---and I love it! I have always known that I wanted to be a school nurse, at some point in time, however I always envisioned it being a little later in life when all my kids were in school. But when I learned of a school nurse opening close to home (and at a great school!), I jumped on the opportunity. And I am so glad that I did. The job is not stressful (but have sent 2 kids to the hospital via EMS for respiratory distress!), but in no way boring either! Every day is new and different, and I have learned a lot in the 7 weeks that I have worked! I have a wonderful clinic assistant, who has taught me a lot about the processes and logistics of the way the school setting works. She is phenomenal at managing and "triaging" the students as they come in---and has been instrumental in making me feel welcome in this new environment.
2. I hired a nanny, Paty, to stay with the boys while I work. She has been so loving and dependable---the boys just love her! She is wonderful at keeping up with the boys, offering craft activities, encouraging healthy eating, and just giving them love when their mom isn't home. Randy and I feel so blessed to have found Paty. Paty works with Ben and Logan Monday-Wednesday and Fridays. She will occasionally work Thursdays, but has another family she works with too. My mom (Mimi) helps with the boys on Thursdays, taking them and picking them up from preschool.
3. Logan has really started talking! On average, Logan has had about 2-3 new words every week since I started working. (Funny how that has happened!) We have been very happy with his speech progress, but also knows he has a long way to go to catch-up with his age-level. Occasionally when Logan says a new word for the first time, his eyes pop open wide, almost in surprise, that he actually said a word! He is so funny; we have been having a good time watching his speech develop.
4. Ben continues to do well and is medically stable. This is always a good thing during the cold/flu season. In fact, the last time we were in the doctor for a blood draw and port flush, we learned his port is no longer working properly. Ben's port was surgically implanted when he was 2, and since then he has grown tremendously. His port has manuevered its way out of his subclavian vein, and is no longer functional. Ben will be having surgery on Dec. 27th to have his port removed. We will not be replacing it at this time. We decided with his doctor, that since Ben is considered medically stable, and with his psychological trauma from his previous hospitalizations, that we will not replace his port at this time. We hope this decision will allow for more healing in Ben's psychological world.
5. Both boys have adjusted beautifully to me going back to work full-time. They love their nanny, Paty. Most days, I get home around the time Logan is waking up from his nap, and I love being able to get him up from his bed. It makes me feel I haven't missed too much of his day. My hours are (officially) 7:30am-3:30pm, and usually get home between 4-4:15pm.
6. Randy is still working hard at E E Hood and Sons. The down-turned economy has hit family-owned businesses hard, and he is working hard to survive the hard times. He is doing a great job and we are so proud of the work he is doing. E.E. Hood and Sons is a 4th generation family-owned business. It has been around for 94 years---and Randy is convinced and dedicated to the knowledge that it will be around for years to come. We love him so much and are so proud.

As I continue to adjust and grow into my new role of "full-time working mom", I hope that my blog will not be quite as neglected. In the meantime, keep checking in!---you never know when I may have had a few moments to update you with the Hood happenings! :-)

1 comment:

Abby said...

I feel your pain of adjusting to being at work. Notice my blog has not been touched since Labor day. You have inspired me to get back at it! :) Thanks!